ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF RUSSIAN TRANSLATION
Defense Language Institute Washington office
The full job posting and application information can be found at:
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Teach high-level Russian/English translation skills to military Russian linguists.
- Assess prospective students to determine current proficiency levels prior to training.
- Identify to upper management ongoing training needs.
- Maintain language proficiency and knowledge of current Russian affairs, Russian history, geography, culture and commonly shared literature, literary tradition; keep up with Russia's rapidly changing society and politics and their reflection in language structure and vocabulary.
- Conduct one-on-one translation classes, corrects and discusses oral and written translation assignments, analyzes errors, determines their underlying cause and provides remediation.
- Stay abreast of the changes in the Second Language Acquisition (SLA) field through appropriate literature, visits and other interaction with leading programs and participation in the national dialogue.
Please note the following:
- The position is located at the DLI’s east-coast office in the Washington, DC area.
- The rank of Associate Professor at DLI does not automatically confer tenure. This is a three-year position with expectation of renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance and available funding. Junior members of the profession with appropriately varied teaching experience are encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance. US citizenship is required.
- The application portal will close for this position on 27 December 2022.