Civic Engagement: Student as Citizen
|Course date||June 27–July 8, 2022|
|Application deadline||February 28, 2022|
For more information, and to apply, visit the CEU Summer University Announcement.
This summer course offers a pioneering intellectual inquiry into the dynamics, varieties, and antagonisms of racialization and racial oppression of Romani people in relation to other racialized populations.
The course examines the links between gender, race, and class in the past and present era of global capitalism and the impact of marketization, financialization on racialized groups, such as Roma. Through the course participants will critically explore the historical formation of intersected racialized and gendered manifestations of oppression at the global and local level.
The summer school addresses the following questions:
- What are the insights and limitations of applying critical race theory to the studying the situation of Roma in Eastern European societies?
- What are the manifestations and patterns of anti-Romani racisms?
- How is it reproduced in different areas of public life?
- How could enduring forms of racial injustice be tackled?
The summer course targets MA and PhD students as well as advanced undergraduate students who have adequate prior study or engagement experience on the subject and make a compelling case in their application/statement of interest.
Romani students are particularly encouraged to apply. The course pays particular attention to the gender and ethnic diversity of its faculty and participants.
Please read the following directions carefully.
Below is the list of the documents you need to prepare or arrange for submission:
- Completed online SUN Application Form (see notes below)
- Full curriculum vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any. Please upload your Curriculum Vitae or resume, including a list of publications, if any.
- Statement of Purpose. In the Statement of Purpose please describe how the course is relevant to your teaching, research or professional work, and in what way you expect to benefit from it. Please list relevant courses in the field you have taken previously during your studies. You are advised to consult the detailed course description on the course web page so that the statement of purpose is in accordance with the main objectives of the course.
Please mention in your Statement of Purpose if you have Romani background.
Please provide a name, contact email and phone number of a person (a faculty member, job supervisor, etc.) who can be contacted by the course directors to attest to your abilities, qualifications, and academic/professional performance.
- Short Research statement (max. 1000 words).
Please submit a short research statement (max 1000 words) related to both the course agenda and your scholarly or practical work.
- Proof of English proficiency in the ‘English qualification’ section of the Qualifications page.
Unless your first language is English, please upload an English language certificate or a transcript as proof that you studied entirely in an English language program. If you do not have any of the above certificates, please upload a writing sample (published article, paper in progress, an excerpt of an MA thesis, project summary, etc.).
- Personal Statement on Financial Aid
Those who are eligible and wish to apply for financial aid should specify their reasons in the “Personal statement on financial aid” section (Funding page of the application form).
You can upload further optional documents on the Qualifications page such as academic documents that you think may be relevant to support your application in the 'Other Supporting Documents' section. All documents should be merged into a single PDF file not exceeding the size 2 MB. No passwords and encryption are allowed.
How to Apply
Completed CEU Summer University Application Form
We strongly advise the use of Google Chrome to enable the full functionality of the form.
- You may apply to a maximum of two summer courses. In case of being admitted, you can only attend both if the two courses do not overlap in time. Financial aid, if available, is only granted to attend one course.
- If you applied to CEU before, please use your existing login and password to start a new application. If you do not remember your password from last year click on Forgotten Password. With technical problems, bugs, or errors related to the online application forms please contact the CEU IT Help Desk.
- Right after login, please select ”Summer University” radiobutton from the "Type of course" list, and leave all other fields empty.
- All application materials must be submitted with the online application form(s). Materials sent by postal mail, electronic mail, or fax are not considered.
- The maximum allowable file size for upload is 2MB per file and the acceptable file formats are PDF, JPG, and JPEG. Ensure all security features (e.g. passwords and encryption) are removed from the documents before uploading them.
- Applications cannot be edited after submission. Please submit your application only when it is 100% final and complete.
- Further user instructions for the online application are included in the form itself. Should you have questions regarding the application form, check the relevant Frequently Asked Questions.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you need help or more information during the application process, please feel free to contact the SUN staff via email.
The SUN Office will notify applicants about the selection results in April. Please check the 'Dates and deadlines' section on the relevant course websites for notification deadlines planned earlier or later. The final decision is not open to appeal.